Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Two Desserts

I made two desserts for my family's Christmas Eve and Christmas Day celebrations--one new, and one a trusted standby.

The new one was a nutmeg spice cake with rum buttercream frosting from Flour, which has become my go-to baking book. The cake had a very nice, almost Chai-like flavor, and the frosting was very rum-y. This was my first ever attempt at making a multi-layer cake and I found it fairly easy. It may not have looked perfect, but I was pretty pleased with the end result.

The second dessert, the trusted standby, was Giada's panna cotta recipe. I go back to this creamy custard again and again because it's so simple to make (literally just stirring the ingredients in a saucepan for about ten minutes), but the end result seems like something kind of elegant and special. I usually use glass dessert dishes, but this year I filled up some festive mugs to make it easier to enjoy while sitting around the Christmas tree.


Did you try any new desserts this holiday?

2 comments:

  1. The panna cotta looks so great in that mug! That was a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks so pretty! I'm going to have to try a layer cake soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails