Saturday, October 24, 2009

Wild Things

In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that although I read Where the Wild Things Are when I was little, it's never been one of my all time favorite children's books (certainly not on the level of Blueberries for Sal or the Frances series).


All the same, I do want to see the new movie version of Where the Wild Things Are, and I just finished The Wild Things, Dave Eggers's novel based on a combination of the children's book and the new movie.

I thought Eggers believably captured the perspective of a mischievous child, both in Max's normal, everyday life and when he's on the island of the Wild Things. There's definitely a dark and, at times, eerie feeling that runs throughout the Wild Things portion of the book. Interestingly, and perhaps because The Wild Things was written after Eggers had co-written the film script, I thought that it really captures, and allows the reader to envision, how the movie will be. Now I'll just have to watch the movie for myself and see how they compare...

On another note, I also recently read Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. Although post-apocalyptic, semi-fantasy, young-adult fiction isn't my most frequented genre, I've enjoyed both of the books in this series so far. They do a good enough job of filling the place of the Twilight series for a fun, quick, escapist read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails