Thursday, December 30, 2010

My First Strata

In The Family Stone, one of my mom's favorite movies, there's a key scene involving a strata. Sarah Jessica Parker's character makes a breakfast strata for her in-laws-to-be, and then later ends up covered in it. I came across a Nigella recipe for a strata and decided to try making it as Christmas morning breakfast for my family.

Happily, it turned out well and no one ended up wearing it. It's actually the perfect easy Christmas morning breakfast because the combination of bread, eggs, and cheese is prepared the night before (in only about 15 minutes time!), so all you need to do in the morning is bake it while you're opening presents. It's also the kind of recipe where you're pretty much an expert at it after your first try, so you can make it over and over again. Truth be told, this picture is actually of my second strata. It was in a prettier dish than the first one I made on Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. It looks most tasty and delicious. Congrats! Is that a piece of traditional Polish stoneware that I see? I received a similarly-designed pie plate for xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom makes that for us every Christmas morning, too! We always have that and Bestemom's tea ring after we open presents.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails