Monday, October 3, 2011

State of Wonder

After finishing State of Wonder, I can confidently say that the streak continues with yet another book that I loved by Ann Patchett.

The story hearkens back to Conrad's Heart of Darkness with a few dashes of Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible thrown in, but has a unique spin that's Patchett's own. All I could think about while reading this was how amazed I was by the vivid world that she's created. Traveling along with pharmacologist Marina Singh, the novel's protagonist, from the safety of her research lab in Minnesota to the middle of the Amazonian jungle where her former med school mentor is conducting fertility research, I had the same reaction as Marina herself and ended up completely enthralled by a world that I never expected to encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails