Sunday, June 14, 2009

A brief weekend recap....

The weather was perfect for an outdoor fine arts and crafts festival held a few blocks from the beach. There was a lot of interesting art and jewelry for sale and I picked up two prints for myself.



This print by StudioManhattan is a Polaroid transfer of the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings. (It's actually matted and framed...the picture doesn't show that too well.) The artist explained that he takes a shot with a Polaroid camera and, before it has a chance to develop, peels away the negative and transfers it onto watercolor paper. The color saturation and effect comes out differently every time. The subject matter was mostly New York images, some very iconic and some more subtle. It was hard to choose which one to get.



I also got this bright, fun Boston print from artists specializing in what they describe as "Nostalgic Neighborhoods". It's kind of like a Where's Waldo painting of the major sites, landmarks, and stores for a given city.

On the cooking front, I baked a mushroom and spinach quiche with a potato crust, from this cookbook, which has a lot of interesting looking recipes. The quiche turned out well. It calls for just three eggs and a modest amount of cheese, so it doesn't taste like your traditional quiche, more like some kind of savory vegetable pie.


I also had the chance to watch a DVD that I would never have seen if it wasn't for the wonderful invention that is Netflix. This time it was the British film version of Cold Comfort Farm, starring Kate Beckinsale, Eileen Atkins, and Ian McKellan. So funny...It really captures the essence of the book, which I blogged about here. I thought that part of the reason why I liked it may have been because I had read and liked the book, but my co-watchers were also laughing by the end of the movie. Great clothes, hats, and bobbed haircuts to be seen as well.

And last, but not least, as a post-script to my last post, I would strongly recommend watching Charlie Rose's interview with Dave Matthews from last week. It offers some really interesting insights into the new CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails