Monday, January 10, 2011

Costumed Brits

Who watched Downton Abbey on PBS last night? It's a British import shown on Masterpiece Theater, so obviously I did. Set just prior to WWI, it opens with the sinking of the Titanic and follows the family and the servants living in an English country estate. It's basically Gosford Park redux, but stretched out into a six hour miniseries. I have my Sunday nights scheduled for it for the next few weeks. The story is interesting and the costumes are gorgeous, plus it's fun to play the game of spotting the British actors who've been in other BBC imports (so far I have Sense and Sensibility, North and South, and the Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice on my list).

It ended up being a big weekend for period pieces, since I also saw The King's Speech, which I would recommend. It's actually kind of a feel-good movie, which is kind of surprising for something that's getting awards buzz (or really for anything not animated by Pixar or starring Sandra Bullock).

And guess what else- There's a new remake of Jane Eyre coming out soon. It looks promising from the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails