Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Two Young Adults

I've come to the conclusion that the reason I still enjoy an occasional foray into the young adult genre is because I didn't actually read too many of them back when I was in their target demographic. Once seventh grade hit, I seemed to jump right into all the classics by Jane Austen and the Brontes. Now that I've read all of those a million times over, I have to go back to see what I was missing back then.

(That, and the fact that I get so many for free from working in publishing!)

Two came my way recently, the first being Delirium by Lauren Oliver. It's set in a dystopian world, similar to the lately successful Hunger Games series (and that old book The Giver by Lois Lowry- did anyone else have to read that in school?).

The second was Abandon by Meg Cabot. She's written lots of adult chick-lit, as well as The Princess Diaries, but this is the first book of hers I've ever read. It's a modern retelling of the myth of Hades and Persephone. I've never liked Greek mythology that much, but thought it was a fresh and interesting scenario here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails