Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Liking Lately

 Since I'm still working my way through my Classics Club Spin pick, I thought I'd take a little break from books today and share a few other things that I've found myself enjoying lately.

Watching: The Americans


(image via here)

I watched the first episode of The Americans simply because it stars Keri Russell, whom I've been a fan of since her Felicity days, and became instantly hooked on the show. Set in 1981, it follows two deep cover KGB operatives living in Washington DC and spying against the US government. Matched together as a married couple by the KGB, they live an average, nondescript life working as travel agents and raising their two American-born children, who have no idea about their parents' double lives. Of course, their new neighbor just so happens to be an FBI counterintelligence agent. It's a really well done show, filled with suspense, complex characters, and blurred lines between good guys and bad guys, plus period costumes and details that make the 80's seem cool instead of cheesy.

Listening to: Alabama Shakes

(image via here)

I'm late joining the bandwagon on this one, but I started listening to Alabama Shakes a couple of weeks ago and love their unique sound--southern rock meets 60's folk meets Janice Joplin meets Motown? Something like that?

Doing: yoga

(image via here)

Over the years I've made sporadic attempts at doing yoga, but frankly, never liked it all that much. I could usually keep up with whatever random class I stumbled into, but certainly never got the whole mind/ body connection (probably because I was always nervously hoping the class wouldn't break into crazy handstands). But on a whim I signed up for a six week yoga fundamentals class at a local studio.  The teacher has been going through one or two poses in minute detail each class and something just clicked for me.  Suddenly, I can't get enough yoga! I've noticed a real improvement in the way I feel as a result of it, too.

Eating: cookies

(image via here)

And finally, I never thought this day would come, but cookies may have eclipsed cupcakes as my sweet of choice. I knew a fundamental shift had occurred when, finding myself on the Upper West Side and in need of a treat, I chose a cookie from Levain over a cupcake from nearby Magnolia. Granted, Levain's cookies are a big, gooey, scone-sized breed unto themselves, but the batches of  homemade cookies I've been making on a nearly weekly basis (with single serving microwave cookies in between) are further signs that cupcakes may have slipped into the number two spot!


What new discoveries have you been watching, eating, doing, or listening to lately?



9 comments:

  1. I've recently been introduced to Persephone books and ordered my first one. Yeay. I didn't think The Americans would be my cup of tea, but I think I might give it a shot. Right now I'm watching Modern Family, Grimm and Once. And I'm reading To Marry an English Lord. I can't wait to get my Persephone book. Yeay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for your first Persephone book! Which one did you pick?

      Delete
    2. I just got it today. It's "The Making of a Marchioness" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It's perfect timing because I just finished "To Marry an English Lord" and it was the perfect book to lead me into this one. I am looking forward to discovering more Persephone books. I'm a bit bummed though because the book didn't come in perfect condition. I'd love to know which Persephone books you've read so far (in a future blog post perhaps? hint hint :)

      Delete
  2. I know I'm late to the party, but I'm trying to catch up on Downton Abbey and Duck Dynasty...(It's a strange party!) I'm reading Home by Tony Morrison and just had a Raspberry Truffle blizard from Dairy Queen. (I can't believe you are two-timing cupcakes!;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll still eat enough cupcakes so that they don't feel too left out!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the reminder to check out Alabama shakes. I've heard of them, but am also late to the party! I just previewed all their songs on itunes.....so thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to try The Americans - I really love spy stuff and know I will enjoy it.
    Cookies have always eclipsed cupcakes for me!
    I've been liking Mindy Gledhill's Anchor album and re-watching Miss Marple episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. Thanks a lot for getting me hooked on The Americans!!!! :) My fiance and I spent the weekend catching up on the rest of the episodes online.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails