Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cozy Winter Reading

The freezing weather this weekend has been the perfect excuse to hang around my apartment and be lazy. Staying inside (with the exception of a trip out to see Sherlock Holmes) has of course translated into lots of reading.

I'll admit it- I've become a complete sucker for young adult books. They're my guilty pleasure of choice. And when I get one using a B&N gift card that was burning a hole in my pocket? Even better. This one, Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, is a romance between a teenage girl and a boy who's a werewolf- but not the usual kind. A fun book and an entertaining way to spend a few hours on a chilly winter afternoon.

On a slightly more sophisticated level, I read the collection Boston Noir. I'd heard of other titles in this series before- Brooklyn Noir, Los Angeles Noir, etc.- and when I saw they had one for Boston I snapped it up. Not only did it deal with one of my favorite settings, but it was edited by Dennis Lehane, author of The Given Day, which I really loved, and other books that I've enjoyed the movie versions of, like Mystic River. The stories in here didn't disappoint. Set in various parts of the city and covering different time periods, from colonial times to post-WWII to present day, they all share a really great atmosphere and a sense of eeriness and foreboding that fit right in on a winter's day. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for some of the other cities in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails