Saturday, January 9, 2010

Vicky and Al

Over my holiday vacation, I saw the movie Young Victoria, which I would highly, highly recommend.

It's the biopic about the years during which Queen Victoria ascended to the throne and met and married Prince Albert. The movie has a perfect mix of history and romance, and Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend are great in the lead roles. I've read a couple of lukewarm reviews, but I absolutely loved it. My only criticism was that it was too short- I would have like to have seen more of their married life together.

This inspired me to read the book We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals.

My only problem with this book is the same that I have with any biography that I read. No matter how well written, or how interested I am in the subject matter, they always take me FOREVER to get through. That aside, this one was actually really interesting. It painted a really vivid picture of the lives of Victoria and Albert, and at the best times I felt like I was reading a historical novel. But unlike a novel, this book also discussed the flaws of Victoria and Albert and, unlike the movie, didn't paint a completely rosy picture of their relationship. Reading this book, it was very easy to see how and why the movie deviated from historical fact (and how much more enjoyable it was because it did).

Glad I read the book, even gladder that I saw the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails