Thursday, October 14, 2010

One Day

I've just finished one of the most truly enjoyable books I've read in a while- One Day by David Nicholls. I'd heard a ton of buzz about this when it came out in the summer, with lots of reviews describing it as a great beach read for people who normally hate beach reads. I was worried that this was just hype, but the book did more than live up to it and actually surpassed the "beach read" label.

The book opens as Emma and Dexter meet in the 1980's, on the day after they graduate from college. Each subsequent chapter pops in on them on that same day- July 15th- year after year. It's a complete gimmick, but one that manages to work. This is really a completely entertaining book. It's witty, with a kind of Nick Hornby-vibe, has elements of romance, and has a very poignant ending that actually left me misty-eyed, but in a satisfying way.

And for two random notes about the book: 1) I was pleasantly surprised to realize that I had read, and thoroughly enjoyed, one of the author's other books and 2) I've heard that One Day is set to be made into a movie, with Anne Hathaway as the lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails