Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Feast of Love

I finally finished a slow plod through The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter. I had first heard of the movie version of this starring Greg Kinnear and Morgan Freeman. Catching snippets of it on cable, it seemed like it could be vaguely cheesy- definitely not anything that would make me go out and read the book. But then I started to hear good things about Charles Baxter as a writer, so I decided to give it a try.

I had such a hard time getting through this. It's by no means a long novel, but it took me a good few weeks because I was so unmotivated to pick it up. While reading it, I could see how the writing was technically good, et cetera, et cetera, but the story and characters did absolutely nothing for me. I actually considered abandoning it with only about ten pages left. I persevered, but only to skim through those final pages. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to be done with this and moving on to something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails