Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Goonies

I'm having a streak of good reading luck. A Visit From the Good Squad- the recent Pulitzer Prize winner by Jennifer Egan and my book club's latest pick- is the third book great book I've read in just about as many weeks.

I won't even try to summarize what the book is about. I think any attempt to would be as misleading as the official jacket copy is. I will say that the chapters tell the stories of different characters, or of different time periods in the lives of characters. As I came to the end of each one, I was so wrapped up in their stories that I wanted to read more, and felt a bit cheated when a new chapter began and a new character or time was introduced. Each one seemed to hold the potential to be spun out into a novel of its own.

I flew through this over the weekend and have been thinking about it ever since. And even though I'm extremely glad I read it, I'm not without criticisms of it. I have a feeling that this is going to make for an interesting book club discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails