Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What the Dickens!

In case the explosion of Dickens related material around the web yesterday didn't tip you off, our friend Charles turned the big 2-0-0. If you don't have time to celebrate by rereading one of his novels, you can check out some of these Dickensian items.

Google's doodle in honor of the occasion:

A couple of Penguin Classics editions to add to my Must Collect list:




And although I know that we're all trying not to think about the sad day when Downton Abbey is over for this season, there are a few new Dickens adaptations coming up on Masterpiece. Great Expectations, The Old Curiosity Shop, and The Mystery of Edwin Drood all look like they'll be worth a watch.

What's your favorite Dickens?

5 comments:

  1. Aahhh....so THAT's what that Google thing was about! Thanks for the clarification. I will need to check out "Hard Times," not sure if I've even heard of that one. "A Tale of Two Cities" is, by far, one of my favs, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably A Christmas Carol, but aside from that, Our Mutual Friend. Have you read The Girl In the Blue Dress? I forget the author, but it's loosely based on Charles and Catherine Dickens and their tempestuous relationship. I didn't LOVE it, but it was a solid read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. david copperfield is my favorite. i can read it over and over and still enjoy it. sweet and wonderful. i tried to read it to my daughter, though, and she hated how little david had such a hard life. wouldn't stay with it. maybe when she's older. hooray for you for sharing that big birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Tale of Two Cities is my fav! I've started David copperfield, but haven't made it all the way through yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love those covers! So sweet and simple in the best way.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails