Friday, January 4, 2013

Friday Fancies

Today I thought I'd take a minute to talk about (gloat about?) some of the books I received as Christmas gifts. For anyone who has read this blog for any length of time, it should come as no surprise that a couple of pretty Penguin classic editions were in the mix, specifically the Drop Cap edition of My Antonia by Willa Cather and the Mr. Boddington's Studio edition of Little Women. I also received a new Persephone title, Mariana by Monica Dickens, and a three book boxed set of nonfiction memoirs and travelogues about France by classic authors James Fenimore Cooper, Robert Louis Stevenson, and, most exciting for me, Edith Wharton. I have a lot of good reading ahead of me this winter!


Just a few links this week, due to a combination of some eye strain and an overflowing Google Reader that I still need to catch up on.

These Stay at Home Club items seem very apropos as we enter the winter hibernation season.

This review of Christmas Pudding by Nancy Mitford made me wish that I had tracked down a copy for the holidays.

And for anyone who's counting down until 9pm this Sunday, here's a Q&A with Jessica Fellowes, niece of Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, these books are lovely. I saw the lovely Penguin editions at B&N. I am going to go back to buy the Willa Cather edition, plus orange is my favorite color. So it's a love match!! Did you hear the sad news that Pippa's book flopped? Both here and in the UK. It's now 50% off at B&N. I don't understand why as I think it's a pretty darn good book. Maybe I am just too easy to please. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad! I bet a lot of people were too skeptical to give it a chance. They missed out on some good recipes though if that was the case.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the link to the Stay at home items.
    Fun stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them. I certainly don't need any more encouragement to do that this time of year!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails