Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Amelie-esque

I decided to read the short story collection No One Belongs Here More Than You after I saw a video of the author Miranda July's art on the Lula magazine site.


I checked the book out from the library and when I opened it, I found this slipped in front of the jacket flap:

It's a note congratulating me on picking the book and complimenting my good choice, written by someone who loves the book! What a cute idea! Then, turning to the first story, I came across another:

I felt a little bit like Amelie, finding notes and secret messages!

Now after all that, I feel a bit sheepish to have to admit that I actually didn't like the book that much. Miranda July is a very quirky writer and her characters are oddballs and misfits. She writes with a certain empathy that creates moments where you feel for characters that you wouldn't necessarily expect to. Although I can admire that, for me the stories didn't quite create that sense of "life is wonderful" that the description (and those notes) promised.

But...I'm still glad I read it, mostly because finding those notes was such charming surprise. I may have to start doing that with some of my favorite library books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails